Get to know the beautiful and talented Beverly, founder of MUAH Studio.
1. Tell us a little bit about MUAH and what you do
MUAH stands for Make Up And Hair and we’ve been around since 2010. We are an academy training students in makeup and hairstyling and they will graduate to become professional makeup artists.
2. How long have you been in the industry?
It has been 8 years since we started our business.
3. What makes your business unique?
We are one of the few academies that specialises in makeup and hairstyling specifically, we also have a section called MUAH Market where we curate Sabahan beauty brands and sell them in our store and online. We also have an online education platform for people to learn makeup and hairstyling in detail.
4. What do you love most about weddings?
Weddings are a great opportunity for family and friends to get together in a joyous setting and that is my favorite part. To be able to be a part of the party, the conversations, the merry making and the beautifying part of course.
5. Tell us what services or packages you offer to couples
I am quite specific in my offer, I am a makeup artist first and foremost, so I provide makeup and hairstyling services to brides. I do travel for my work and of course while I’m at the job I’ll help the bride out in all sorts of preparation from fitting into their undergarments to tying their dress up.
6. Can you share with us your most memorable wedding experience?
I don’t have a specific wedding or bride, but I love chatting with my brides. I remember conversations that I had with my bride from 10 years ago and we are still connected via social media. I think that’s the most beautiful part of my job.
7. What great wedding (hair & makeup) trends are you seeing now?
Ever since the royal wedding, everyone is talking about Megan’s makeup. I love her style of makeup, effortless, no-makeup makeup look, so that is right up my alley.
8. How should brides prep their hair and face before their wedding day?
The prep should begin way before the wedding day, perhaps a month or two. I always advice my brides to moisturise their skin, as a well hydrated skin helps with makeup adherents. For the hair, do wash a day before without any conditioner or oil serum so it’ll be easier to style the next day.
9. What is the most outrageous demand you have received from a bride?
People love to ask me this question, but I don’t really have an experience like that. All of my brides are pretty moderate in their demands and nothing that is out of my expectations so far.
10. What advice would you give to a bride when they are looking for a wedding hair/make-up artist?
I would advice brides to check out the artist’s work online, make sure the photos are not filtered, book a trial with the artist if possible just to make sure the photos of their work matches the bride’s expectations.
11. What is your favorite wedding look?
Natural effortless glowing look.
13. In your opinion, do you recommend grooms to wear makeup on their wedding day?
Usually a groom’s makeup is borne out of neccessity in order to correct certain flaws, so it really isn’t about whether they should or not, it’s really about their skin conditions.
14. What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
Getting a good lighting is always a challenge especially in hotel rooms or windowless rooms.
15. Name three of your favorite beauty tools
Shu Uemura Eyelash curler, Real Techniques blending sponge and eyelid net.
MUAH provides hair and makeup services for weddings and events in addition to offering workshops and classes. MUAH is based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, East Malaysia. More info about MUAH can be found on their website ; Instagram @bev_muah and Facebook.